Schedule care for minor illnesses or injury with our virtual urgent care service, CareConnect Now.
The ER is open 24 hours/7 days a week.
The emergency room is for severely ill or severely injured patients only.
About Our Emergency Room
Luminis Health Anne Arundel Medical Center (LH AAMC) has one of the busiest emergency rooms in Maryland.
When you have a medical emergency, we stand ready to help. We offer:
- Lifesaving heart attack care. We are both a STEMI center (STEMI is the most severe and dangerous type of heart attack) and a Comprehensive Cardiac Center. This is the highest heart care designation a hospital can achieve.
- Emergency stroke care. We are a Primary Stroke Center.
- Dedicated care for children. We have a Pediatric Emergency Room.
LH AAMC is also one of Maryland's top hospitals, recognized by U.S. News & World Report.
Surgical & Clinical Specialties
We offer emergency care in this department, including for mental health emergencies.
You can always use our Find Care tool to schedule care within Luminis Health. Or, choose from the most-frequently searched services related to emergency care.
- Emergency Medicine
- Pediatric Emergency Room
- Heart Attack Care
- Inpatient Psychiatric Care
- Abuse and Domestic Violence
When to Come to the ER
If you're experiencing any of the following conditions, call 911 for an ambulance. Do not drive yourself — or someone else — who is experiencing:
- Chest pain.
- Difficulty breathing, shortness of breath or feeling like there is a weight on your chest.
- Major bleeding.
- Stroke symptoms (such as sudden confusion, difficulty speaking, vision changes, sudden weakness or inability to use an arm or leg).
- A suspected drug overdose.
- Thoughts of hurting yourself or others.
Other reasons to come to the ER include:
- Abdominal pain, especially unusual pain.
- Bleeding or abdominal pain with pregnancy.
- Extreme headache or head injury.
- Persistent vomiting or diarrhea.
- Other sudden or severe pain.
- Serious burns.
- Broken bones and dislocated joints.
Alternatives to the Emergency Room
Need care for a medical concern today? If your situation is not a true emergency, Luminis Health offers CareConnectNow. CareConnectNow is a virtual urgent care service. We provide expert care for many conditions that need immediate, but not emergency, attention.
Luminis Health also offers urgent care mental health services.
What to Expect
Our experienced and compassionate care team asks you the basics, like your name, birth date, medical history and the reason for your visit. Then we take your vital signs and decide on the next step.
We use a process called "triage" to carefully prioritize patients.
- Triage is not a first-come, first-served system. Instead, patients with the most urgent needs come first.
- The most critical patients are those with time-sensitive or life-threatening conditions.
- This means that someone who arrives after you may receive care before you.
- Triage makes a lifesaving difference if you're experiencing a serious emergency, like a heart attack or stroke.
If you must wait, we do everything in our power to make you comfortable and relieve your pain.
Gather important information in advance
Keep an information card in your wallet or purse to help ease your mind and streamline your ER check-in. Be sure it includes:
- A list of your medications and any drug allergies.
- The name and number of your primary care physician.
- Your advanced directives, like powers of attorney and the name of your health care proxy.
Some mobile phones offer a Medical ID feature that stores this information, and your care team can access it even if your phone is locked. This is especially helpful if you're unable to talk when you arrive.
After your ER visit
After your visit, we'll either release you from the hospital or move you to another floor for further treatment. Depending on the nature of your condition or injury, we may refer you to a specialist for follow-up care. We make sure you have the information you need to recover from your emergency and take control of your health.
The Luminis Health ER sees all patients, regardless of whether you have health insurance.
Don't let your ability to pay keep you from seeking the emergency care you need.
We provide medically necessary services to everyone, no matter your ability to pay.
Contact Financial Assistance to explore options or set up a payment plan.
When you receive care at Luminis Health, you will receive separate bills for hospital, physician, imaging or radiology services.
Know your rights and protections against surprise medical bills.
Our pediatric specialists are ready to help in any emergency. We know emergency rooms can feel frightening for young patients, so we've designed a space with kids in mind.
There's a home away from home around the corner at Hackerman-Patz House, a low-cost guest house on the LHAAMC campus.