Thank you for your interest in our Bariatric Fellowship Program at Luminis Health Anne Arundel Medical Center. Our curriculum provides ongoing educational and research activities to give you the experience, resources and mentorship needed to meet your individual advancement goals.
Our dedicated faculty are committed to your education. All training activities are appropriately supervised to ensure your competency and progressive autonomy throughout the program. One of the key quality features of our program is the Simulation to Advance Innovation and Learning (SAIL) Center that is located onsite at LHAAMC. SAIL is a 10,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art facility that offers dynamic simulation, research and educational opportunities. As the third busiest hospital in Maryland, fellows will be exposed to a breath of experience in a welcoming, modern environment.
As a fellow your training will prepare you to provide the highest quality surgical care to patients with morbid obesity and obesity-related diseases. You will perform operative procedures and provide all aspects of care, including pre-, peri- and post-operative care, to your patients.
Please explore our website to get more details on the fellowship opportunities that are available to you at LHAAMC. I wish you success in your career and hope to meet you in Annapolis.
Alex Gandsas, MD, MBA, FACS
Program Director, Bariatric Fellowship
As a fellow in our Bariatric Fellowship program you will:
- Understand morbid obesity and its related diseases to include epidemiology of obesity in adolescent and geriatric populations
- Apply non-operative management of morbid obesity to identify options without surgery
- Manage primary operative cases of morbid obesity to refine your surgical skills through experience with bariatric operations
- Manage revision surgical operations and understand the benefits and risks of each
- Understand and manage complications of obesity-related conditions