Gynecologic Cancer Surgery
When you are diagnosed with a gynecologic cancer, surgery may be part of your treatment.
While that news may be difficult to hear, rest assured that you are in good hands with the gynecologic oncologist team at Luminis Health. They understand you have worries about facing surgery. Your surgical team will explain every aspect of your procedure — and your follow-up treatment — offering expert care and concern every step of the way.
What Is Gynecologic Cancer Surgery?
Gynecologic cancer surgery involves a woman's reproductive organs. It usually means removal of a tumor or tumors. It may also include removing organs such as the ovaries, cervix, or uterus.
Sometimes surgical treatment is combined with other forms of cancer care, such as radiation therapy or chemotherapy. Here are some of the conditions our gynecologic oncologists treat.
- Endometrial cancer
- Cervical cancer
- Uterine cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Vaginal cancer
- Vulvar cancer
- Fibroid tumors
- Pelvic masses
Why Choose Luminis Health for Gynecologic Cancer Surgery?
You can trust the team at Luminis Health to treat not only your cancer, but to care for you as a whole person. The Luminis Health gynecologic oncologists are each board-certified national experts in their field — but beyond that, they offer truly compassionate care to those they treat.
Here are some other reasons to choose Luminis Health for gynecologic cancer surgery.
- Our gynecologic oncologists have a wealth of experience. Our physicians have received numerous awards throughout their careers for their achievements in gynecologic oncology. They maintain the highest ratings from patients for their expert and compassionate care.
- You can have your surgery close to home. You don't have the added stress of driving in city traffic or trying to find parking. We offer expert care in a familiar setting.
- We're here for your whole journey. You won't just see us for surgery. Our gynecologic oncologists oversee your entire treatment, including chemotherapy, immunotherapy, other recommended therapies and clinical trials.
- We care for the whole person, not just the cancer. Our gynecologic oncologists provide consultations for risk reduction, gynecologic cancer care, complex gynecologic and pelvic surgery as well as survivorship. We work closely with other specialists from a range of disciplines, including radiation and medical oncology, genetics, nutrition, social work, palliative care, acupuncture, and other supporting services.
- We specialize in minimally invasive surgery. Our gynecologic oncologists use robotic minimally invasive surgery when appropriate to provide precise surgical outcomes with smaller incisions and a more rapid recovery.
- We work closely with breast cancer specialists. Breast care often relates to gynecology and treatment of the reproductive organs. Our concern is for each woman's overall health.
- We offer a range of fertility preserving options. With gynecologic cancer comes the fear of losing your ability to have children. We understand those concerns, and have a number of options available to help keep a family in your future.
- Enhanced recovery after surgery. Our gynecologic oncology team has implemented the "Enhanced Recovery After Surgery" program to allow for a more rapid recovery and transition to normal activities soon after surgery.
Types of Gynecologic Cancer Surgery We Offer
Surgical removal of the uterus, with or without removing the ovaries.
Removing as much of the tumor or tumors as possible. This may involve other organs if the cancer has spread.
For removal of the ovaries, hysterectomy, and other complex gynecologic surgery.
Various options to help you have a pregnancy in the future.
Surgery to remove abnormal tissue from the cervix.
A procedure in which a lymph node is removed and examined to see if cancer is present.
Removal of the uterus, cervix, and part of the vagina.
The da Vinci® Robotic Surgical System is precise, minimally invasive, and can spare healthy tissue.
Monica Jones, MD, is chair of Luminis Health Women’s and Children’s services, overseeing all inpatient and ambulatory departments and services within the service line. Dr. Jones is board certified and fellowship-trained in gynecologic oncology.
Dr. Lambrou serves as Luminis Health's first Chief of Gynecologic Oncology. He has become widely recognized as an expert and instructor in robotic gynecologic surgery. Prior to joining Luminis Health, Dr. Lambrou served as chief of gynecologic oncology and director of robotic minimally invasive surgery for one of the largest health care systems in South Florida.
Dr. McBroom provides individualized, compassionate, and comprehensive care to women with gynecological malignancies. Dr. McBroom specializes in treating ovarian, uterine, and other gynecologic cancers and has particular expertise in minimally invasive robotic surgical procedures. He is board-certified and fellowship-trained in gynecologic oncology.